CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Welcome to OZ?

Piercing screams echoed through our home yesterday at 4:26pm-screams that could only be produced by two very excited sisters over a call hoped for but not completely expected for our new little actress (although she’s been preparing for this role since birth, just like her big sis). This same scream was reproduced exactly 3 minutes later as a second call rang through on our phone line, this time for our original Drama Queen. What was the excitement? Both Mo and DQ had auditioned for The Wizard of Oz on Sunday afternoon and received their callbacks! Mo was called back for the part of a Munchkin and DQ for the Cowardly Lion or the Wicked Witch of the East.
Tonight, I am sitting in the lobby of the local theater, finishing the 4th hour of waiting for the girls at that callback. I have completed 3 Sudoku puzzles, one crossword, studied my A&P, did my reading for micro and played a doodle game with Mo for quite a while. The noise level is intense making conversations nearly impossible and the internet connection is intermittent, so I’m out of things to do. Hmm, I think I might start screaming myself, only not from excitement.
In all my years of dreaming what life with my own kiddos would be like, I never quite pictured it this way. I expected to sit on hard bleachers at ball games or meets or even sweltering in the heat while watching a practice. I knew I would spend a large amount of time in my van chauffeuring the kids from one activity to another. But, I didn’t think it would come in the form of both girls acting. Granted, I know their personalities and know how dramatic they both can be (you only have to tell them to clean their rooms or unload the dishwasher once to see that for yourself), but I don’t think I actually expected them to both make it successfully in a large-scale youth theater, especially with singing parts. I am their mother and singing is not really a natural talent in our family despite our love of music. But my plans are not God’s plans and certainly my ways are not His. Thank you God for exceeding my plans and my ways for them.
Oh, and Girls, go break a leg=)

1 comments:

Heather said...

Congrats to the girls! And, look on the bright side. I also spend my life in my van, but at least theaters are airconditioned. I'm so tired of soccer-mom suntans that I could barf, LOL!